Ask yourself these two questions: am I happy? does anybody ever ask me if I’m happy?
What is it with happiness that most of us struggle to find it? If you’re reading this my guess is you’re still trying to find happiness or maybe you don’t feel too happy today and that’s ok. People talk about happiness as if it was “something” that needs to be found. They say happiness is a career, a brand new car, a house, more money, pre-ordering the iPhone X and so forth; if that was true, why aren’t we happy then?
We’re living in a highly materialistic and superficial society. How many times have you been asked the following questions:
- When are you going to finish your degree?
- Are you done yet?
- Did you get a job?
- Are you making a lot of money?
- You look SO SKINNY, how many pounds have you lost?
- What’s your secret?
When was the last time somebody asked you if you were happy? and if somebody asked you that question what was your answer? did you answer honestly? and what did that mean to you? I’m asking you, whoever is reading this right now, all of these questions for a reason. I’m not trying to change your beliefs whatsoever, but simply ask yourself those questions and answer each of them very carefully.
What is happiness and how do we find happiness? in my opinion happiness is such a confusing word. We want to associate the word ‘happiness’ with whatever feeds our ego. Happiness is a state of mind and the only place you can find it is within yourself.
Here’s a few things to consider:
- STOP WORRYING ABOUT THE DARN FUTURE. I’m literally screaming out loud. This is serious, stop it now. What do you think the future is? you’re only wasting your time and taking the present for granted.
- Find a career that makes you feel whole. It doesn’t have to be too complicated, there are many things you can do in this world, you set your own limits. Trying to find your passion and turn it into a career might be the challenge, but that’s the point.
- Don’t live to work, work to live. Self explanatory.
- Don’t be afraid to be yourself. Everybody is too busy trying to impress people who don’t even care about them, move the heck on.
- You can’t live everybody else’s dream. I know, you saw X person traveling the world and now you want to travel the world too, but you also watched X person’s make up tutorial and now you feel like you want to become a makeup artist and the list goes on. Yes, you can be many things in life but you have got to decide the heck you want and commit to it.
- Don’t get attached to things. Think about it, how many more years you think you’re going to live? yes, you might think you know but you don’t and my point is whenever you leave this world all of those ‘things’ won’t come along with you buddy. Enjoy them but don’t think they’re going to make you any happier.
I’m not a “happiness expert” and I’m not always at my best. I have ups and downs like everybody else and sometimes I just want to lay in my bed all day long thinking about life’s issues. Yes, I’m a mess, but so are you. We are not perfect, we won’t ever be perfect but we can decide to live a happy life. Remind yourself all of all of the reasons why you deserve to be the best version of yourself.
It’s true life has its mysterious ways to surprise us and sometimes it’s not always a good one. We are only humans and it’s ok not be ok sometimes, but after a while… can we just move the heck on?
Thank you for making it this far. This was not a planned post, I just woke up with an overwhelming feeling of gratitude and very inspired to let a bunch of these random thoughts out. Next week I have a very cool post for you guys, stay tuned. Don’t forget to check my last post Downtown Fantasy
If you want to share your story, ideas, doubts or opinions just let me know in the comments below and I’ll be glad to have a little chat with you.
Find me on Instagram
Be kind to yourself and to those around you.
Until next week,